Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Apple Cinnamon Cookies


I went to a Thirty-One team meeting last night.  On the way out I grabbed a cookie for my ride home.  It was just a cookie from a grocery store bakery.  Nothing too exciting.  There were 4 types to choose from: chocolate, sugar, white chocolate macadamia nut, and apple cinnamon.  I thought apple cinnamon sounded fun and different so that's what I went with. Oh, it was the right choice!  It was a FANTASTIC cookie.  I came home raving about this cookie.  Hubby thought I was nuts!  I had a dream about that cookie!

My goal for today was to find out how to make those cookies.  To the interwebs!  I found several recipes, but most did not look promising.  Several were just cookies with applesauce in them, so I can't imagine they have that fantastic apple taste I was looking for.  So here's what I tried.

Apple pie filling.  You don't need the whole can.  Do what you want with the rest.  Eat it straight out of the can. Make a second batch of cookies.  Whatever.  I don't judge.  Spin around in the food processor to chop those babies up.


Cream butter, sugar and brown sugar.  Sing some Rolling Stones even though Fall Out Boy is playing in the background.  *Ah brown sugar how come you taste so good.*  Add egg and vanilla.


Add the apples. Curse that your Beater Blade broke and you have to scrape the bowl.


Combine flour, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon.  Add it!


Scoop the batter onto your greased or lined baking sheet.  I prefer a Silpat.  Sprinkle some cinnamon sugar on top.  Be generous.  I had quite a bit leftover. And the 3rd and half dozen got a good bit more than the first two dozen.  They had a yummier crunch on top.


Realize that using your medium scoop makes too big of a cookie after the first batch is in the oven and switch to the small scoop.


Bake for 10 minutes. Cool on a wire rack.  Take a picture.


Take a bite.  Take another picture.


So these cookies definitely turned out good.  I could eat a dozen in one sitting.  However, they were not nearly as delicious as the grocery store bakery cookie I had last night.  Hubby approved of them, too.  He didn't taste "the cookie" so he can't compare.  I think I might have a new mission in life.  I WILL make the most delicious apple cinnamon cookie EVER.

Apple Cinnamon Cookies
1 can (21 oz.) apple pie filling
1/2 c. butter, softened
1/2 c. granulated sugar, divided
1/4 c. firmly packed brown sugar
1 egg
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
1 1/2 c. all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. ground cinnamon, divided
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Using a slotted spoon, remove 1 cup apples from pie filling. Save remaining pie filling for another use. Finely chop apples in a blender or food processor.In a large bowl, cream butter, 1/4 cup granulated sugar and brown sugar until fluffy. Add egg and vanilla; beat until smooth. Add chopped apples to creamed mixture; stir until well blended.
In a medium bowl, sift together next 3 ingredients and 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon. Add dry ingredients to creamed mixture; stir until a soft dough forms. 
In a small bowl, combine remaining 1/4 cup granulated sugar and 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon; stir until well blended. Drop dough by heaping teaspoonfuls 2 inches apart onto a greased baking sheet. Sprinkle with sugar mixture. Bake 10 to 12 minutes or until edges are light brown. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. Store in an airtight container.
Makes About 3 1/2 dozen cookies.

Recipe adapted from Cooks.com

Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment